NYLT 2022 - Sunday, June 5 - Friday, June 10, 2022
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
For many years, junior leader training (JLT) was an important part of the leadership training continuum of BSA local councils throughout America. In 2003 and 2004, a task force of leadership experts and hundreds of Scouts in pilot courses across the nation reviewed and tested every aspect of the new NYLT syllabus, which incorporates the latest leadership ideas and presents fresh, vital and meaningful training for today's Scouts.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
To attend the Course, Scouts, BSA need the following:
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Minimum age requirements for Scouts BSA members (male and female): must be at least 13 by May 29, 2022 and have earned at least First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills (ILST) for Troops.
- Unit Leader’s signature and recommendation to attend the course.
To attend the Course, Venturer and Sea Scouts need the following:
- Minimum age requirements for Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female): must be 14 or 13 years old and have completed the 8th grade by May 29, 2022, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program (Venturers and Sea Scouts must be no older than 20 years of age as of June 4, 2022).
- They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships.
- It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Unit Leader’s signature and recommendation
Be advised, only a limited number can attend. Course fees do NOT include airfare.
$230.00 per youth (Scout/Venturer/Sea Scout participant) Until March 15, 2022. $255 per youth (Scout/Venturer/Sea Scout participant) from March 16 to May 5, 2022.
Interested in staffing NYLT? Complete the application below by 1/19/22. Scoutmaster approvals for staff applications due by 1/26/22.
|BSA Medical Forms A, B & C||The Annual Health and Medical Record Form (parts A, B & C) are required for all resident camps and activities 72 hours or longer. A printed copy is required.||Download|
|NYLT Brochure - 2022||Information that can be printed to share with units, leaders and parents.||Download|
|Unit Leader Recommendation||Required to be completed for each youth registered to attend NYLT.||Download|